Hahn Ready Mix can trace it’s beginnings to the founding of Hahn Bros, Inc, in 1852. Hahn Bros. was originally a farming operation on the south side of Muscatine on what is known as the Muscatine Island. In 1890, Henry Hahn went into a partnership with a company from Chicago to build a sand plant on the island. Unfortunately, this endeavor was not a success, and the sand plant shut down within two or three years. Hahn Bros continued to be a significant farming company into the early part of the twentieth century. In fact, during WWI, Hahn Bros was the largest supplier of cabbage to the U.S. Military. In 1925, Robert Hahn designed and built the world’s first roller bearing mounted centrifugal dredge pump, and the company reentered the sand business.
In 1955, Robert Hahn and his son Tom set up our first Ready Mix plant adjacent to the sand plant, and the company became Hahn Ready Mix. Ready Mix plants at that time were operated by hand levers pulled by the batchman, which opened gates to the bins that let the materials fall onto a scale to be weighed and then be dropped into the mixer truck. This was a time consuming process and the quantities that could be produced at one time were quite small. More to this point, Hahn Ready Mix’s first fleet was made up of two 5 yard mixers and one 3 yard mixer. In 1984, as technology advanced and the demand for concrete continued to grow, Hahn Ready Mix set up a fully automated high production ready mix plant.
In 1988, Hahn Ready Mix acquired Grunder & Sons Ready Mix, with facilities in West Liberty, Wilton, Durant and Walcott. Mercer Ready Mix in Aledo, IL soon followed in 1991. In 1995, Hahn Ready Mix purchased it’s first portable ready mix plant, for use in producing approximately 90,000 cubic yards for the new IPSCO Steel plant in Montpelier, Iowa. In 1997, Hahn expanded to Eldridge, IA where it could easily service the rapidly expanding northern part of the Quad Cities.
Also in 1997, Brian Hahn separately purchased Builders Sand & Cement Company in Davenport, IA and then Edwards Ready Mix in Geneseo, IL in 2012. Brian and Roy Carver, Jr, formed a partnership to acquire Block Ready Mix Group in 2012 as well.
Today, the fifth and sixth generation of Hahns are hard at work to provide the quality and service that has become synonymous with the Hahn Ready Mix name. With a fleet of 41 mixers, 11 aggregate haulers, 3 tankers, and 7 batch plants utilizing the latest technology and highly skilled professionals in every phase of production, we are well equipped to handle any and all of your concrete needs.